Mendix (Siemens) Case Studies Archway's Innovative Banking Solutions with Mendix and AWS
Edit This Case Study Record
Mendix (Siemens) Logo

Archway's Innovative Banking Solutions with Mendix and AWS

Mendix (Siemens)
Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) - Public Cloud
Platform as a Service (PaaS) - Application Development Platforms
Finance & Insurance
Logistics & Transportation
Product Research & Development
Inventory Management
Last Mile Delivery
Cloud Planning, Design & Implementation Services
Testing & Certification
Regional banks play a crucial role in the economic health of communities by offering greater access to funding and personalized services. However, over the last two decades, these institutions have found it increasingly difficult to compete with larger national banks due to customer demand for more convenience and digital touchpoints in banking, and their lack of IT expertise to deliver them. Large national banks have hundreds of people dedicated to software development and can make up for their lack of personal client relationships by offering sleek, easy-to-use applications. This has become particularly important in a post-COVID era, where digital convenience often overshadows the personal touch of in-person banking. Regional banks are at a crossroads – their lean IT budgets are hardly enough to develop enterprise-grade software with traditional code, and commercial-off-the-shelf solutions are typically restrictive.
Read More
Archway Software was born from the Innovation Lab of WaFd Bank (previously known as Washington Federal Bank). Dustin Hubbard, now President at Archway, served as WaFd’s CTO from 2019 through 2022. Hubbard selected Mendix and with 4 developers delivered WaFd’s online banking portal in just 10 months. The success of this project sparked several new ideas for Hubbard’s team. In December of 2022, Archway formally spun out as an independent software vendor (ISV) in the Mendix ecosystem. Today, Archway offers banking innovation as a service across three pillars: developing great client experiences with adaptable solutions for online banking, back office bank management, call center management, operating on a common architecture, and unifying data.
Read More
Archway Software, spun out from the innovation lab of a regional bank, aims to level the playing field by providing financial institutions with adaptable solutions in a timeline, price point, and delivery model that addresses the gaps in their software development abilities. Archway’s solution offerings are built on enterprise-grade technologies such as the Mendix low-code platform and AWS, enabling their customers to achieve a 4x faster delivery for solutions such as customer banking portals and Customer 360 dashboards. Archway offers an alternative to the build vs. buy quandary – investing in adaptable solutions – where 80% of a solution is based on a common architecture which can be reused across various organizations, and the remaining 20% can be adapted through customization, extensions, or integrations. Archway also provides access to enterprise-grade technologies like Mendix and AWS, hosting all of their solutions on AWS, either by way of the Mendix Public Cloud or Amazon EKS.
Read More
Archway's Mendix development team has more than doubled in the last year, with Hubbard primarily recruiting engineers with React Native, Eclipse, or front-end development experience. The abstraction and automation afforded by developing in Mendix has enabled this diverse development team to spend more time experimenting with innovation rather than focusing on tedious and repetitive work. The ability to see impact quickly and collaboratively throughout the software development lifecycle has made room for Archway’s development team to craft a roadmap that solves real and present challenges for banks. The ability to iterate and deliver quickly is core to Archway’s value proposition – their commitment is to get banks up and running with any solution 4x faster. Archway hopes that in the future their customers will begin to embrace the speed and potential of low-code and lean into the concept of co-innovation – a value unique to adaptable solutions – to continue driving the industry forward.
4x faster delivery for solutions such as customer banking portals and Customer 360 dashboards
Delivered WaFd’s online banking portal in just 10 months
Decoupled their solutions from the WaFd brand, processes, and architecture in just five months
Download PDF Version
test test